Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Turkey out of brine

I have brined chickens for years - but I have never brined a turkey despite all the American books saying that is how you should do it. The New York Times gives a brined turkey recipe every Thanksgiving. Here is one...

Anyway I have now taken the bird out of the brine. Its large - and free range - from some paddock around Mildura...

And I am expecting all sorts of problems stopping it browning too much. Stefano (bless him) has given me some cured lard (belly fat from some female pig) and I will slice it and run it over the bird. I might wrap the legs with foil...

Potatos, sweet potato, pumpkin. A few salads.

Funnily enough in a breadbasket the local shops are awful. Need to work out how I hook into the Italian growers next time I do Chrissy here.

Will let you know how it goes.

J

No comments: