Sunday, June 4, 2017

Smoked roe - an experiment

Last week I tweeted pictures of a chicken curry. And people asked for the recipe.

So I thought I would write out experimental stuff.

My neighbours (who know I have a smoker) offered me some fish roe. I have never smoked it so I did a little in small quantity - just to work it out.

--

First I mixed a couple of tablespoons of salt and sugar and covered it for about an hour. (I should in retrospect have done longer.) The brining works...



I was told in some recipes to blanch the roe - so I did so. It was a mistake - some of the roe surface broke...




Then prepare the smoker - coals in a chimney...




And set coals with a little cherry wood for smoke...





Smoke at about 90c for 90 minutes. I think I will do cooler next time.

And here is how it looked. Delicious...








No comments: